Items needed for Baptism:
- ORIGINAL COPY OF BABY'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- Parents and godparents must be in good standing with the church - ie, if married must be married in the GO church and if divorced and were married in GO church, must have ecc. divorce
- Stewardship completed for current year
STEWARDSHIP COMMITMENTS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SCHEDULE BAPTISMS
Congratulations on your new baby! Na sas zisi! We are delighted that you plan to baptize your child in the Holy Orthodox faith and the family of the Cathedral of St. George.
The Sacraments of Baptism and Chrismation are the first and most important steps in the life of every Orthodox Christian. We rejoice that you wish to bring your child forward to become a member of the Body of Christ and to receive life everlasting. We will share in your joy as you bring your child to church to receive communion and to grow in our faith.
These sacraments are also statements of commitment to Christ's Holy Church. We welcome you and are eager for you to become active participants in our liturgical and communal life. Nothing is more fulfilling both spiritually and personally! At St. George, we express our commitment to Christ by participating in the Stewardship Program. While this program establishes some requirements for those who seek to baptize their children, our most important goal is to involve your family in our life in Christ.
In the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, a person is incorporated into the crucified, resurrected, and glorified Christ and is reborn to participate in the divine life. Baptism is necessary for salvation and in accordance with Holy Tradition must be performed by triple immersion in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
The sponsor should provide:
- A complete Baptismal Dress or Suit including underclothes
- Bottle of Pure Olive Oil
- Gold Cross for child
- Three white decorated candles
- One bar of soap
- One white bath towel
- Two white hand towels
- One white twin sheet (unfitted)
- Martyrika (optional - these are small decorative icons or crosses given to the guests)